Study abroad: All students of German are encouraged to study at a university in a German-speaking country for at least one semester. Northern State University has exchange agreements with universities in Magdeburg, Lüneburg, and Schmalkalden, Germany, which enable students to study there for little more than the cost of studying at NSU. Hochschule Magdeburg has also offered our lower-level students the opportunity to participate in a very inexpensive, four-week, intensive German course offered in the summer. Our students may also participate in exchange programs provided by the University of South Dakota at German universities in Oldenburg and Jena.
Scholarships: Modest scholarships are awarded annually in the name of the German Club to students who exhibit excellence in German studies at the beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels in their German courses at Northern. For details, contact Dr. Ginny Lewis.
Online courses: NSU's German program offers a variety of courses online for students who would otherwise lack access to opportunities to study German. Contact Dr. Ginny Lewis for information on current online German courses.
German Club: German Club gives you a chance to enjoy German culture, language, and heritage, even if you can't say anything beyond "Gesundheit" and "Kino der Toten."
- Career paths: With an English degree from Northern, you'll have the communications skills needed for positions in business, industry, and state and federal service. You'll also be prepared for professional schools in law, journalism, and medicine, as well as graduate studies in English or linguistics. If you're planning to teach at the secondary level, pursue the Bachelor of Science in Education, which provides certification by the S.D. State Department of Education.
- Literature: Expand your understanding Literature courses offer you access to new ways of looking at and making sense of the world; composition courses help you process information and communicate your views effectively and persuasively; linguistics courses help you understand the rules that make language intelligible.
- Internships: An internship through Northern's English Department gives you a chance to explore your career preference, applying your English skills within the context of a practical challenge.
- Northern Lights Journal: Northern Lights is an online journal of selected original works by NSU students, faculty, staff, alumni and the Aberdeen community. Email written submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. For information, contact Dr. Pen Pearson.
- Communicate with skill and confidence: The program is designed to develop your relational and critical thinking skills, and equip you to be an effective communicator in large- and small-group settings.
- Careers: Courses in speech communication develop skills needed for positions in:
- Public relations
- Business, industry
- Government service
- With a degree in communications studies, you'll be ready for professional school or graduate studies.
- Competition: Test your skills on Northern's award-winning Speech and Debate Team.