What is an official transcript?
An official transcript is a legal document printed on safety paper which bears the university seal and university registrar's signature for each university attended.
In October 2003, the six South Dakota public universities:
- Black Hills State University - Spearfish
- Dakota State University - Madison
- Northern State University - Aberdeen
- South Dakota School of Mines and Technology - Rapid City
- South Dakota State University - Brookings
- The University of South Dakota - Vermillion
merged the separate student information services databases at each university into a single database, with each student having a single record within the system. Students now may obtain a consolidated set of academic transcripts from any university reflecting all academic credit from all South Dakota public universities. For coursework taken Fall 2003 and later, students will no longer need to request a transfer of courses from one South Dakota public university to another.
Requesting a transcript
Transcript Request Form
To request an official transcript, please include the following information in a letter (or print the transcript request form linked above):
- Full name and any former names used while attending any of the universities
- Social security number or student identification number
- Date of birth
- Dates of attendance at each university attended
- Current address and daytime phone number
- Complete address to which each transcript is to be sent
- Your written signature (federal law prohibits acceptance of a computer-generated signature)
Mail your request to:
Records/Registration, Enrollment Services
1200 South Jay Street
Northern State University
Aberdeen, SD 57401
Official transcripts are $5 for the first transcript and $2.50 for each additional transcript (per request), payable at the time the request is made. Make checks payable to Northern State University.
Si Tanka/Huron University Transcript Request Form
Northern State University has agreed to manage transcript services for the now-closed Si Tanka University beginning Monday, March 6, 2006. Students in need of official transcripts from Si Tanka University, Huron University and Huron college transcripts should contact the NSU Registrar's Office.
Si Tanka and Huron University transcripts may be requested by writing the Office of the Registrar at Northern State University.
Requests should include:
• Identifying information for the student including complete name of student and any other name associated with the student, Social Security number, date of birth, approximate dates of attendance, campus of attendance
• Information on where the transcript is to be sent including complete mailing address and individual, office, and/or institution to which transcript is to be sent
• Instructions as to number of copies requested. A $5 fee should be enclosed for each copy requested. Checks may be made out to NSU. Credit card information is also acceptable. Payment must be received before transcripts will be sent.
• Signature of the student
If you have been asked to submit an official transcript, you should request that it be mailed directly to the requesting individual, school or company; or, if they allow it to be enclosed with an application, you should enclose it in the unopened NSU envelope in which you receive it.
Requests may be sent to us by fax at 605-626-2587. Be sure to include credit card information in addition to all the information above, as well as your signature.
Faxed transcripts are not available.
Exclusions and Restrictions
- Email or telephone requests will not be honored
- Transcripts will not be issued to anyone with an outstanding balance owed to any of the six universities listed above
- Copies of test scores (for example, TOEFEL, GRE, ACT, SAT, GMAT, CLEP, AP) or transcripts of academic work from other institutions will not be provided
- You must contact the original institution