Services to Students
The Career Services Center at NSU offers many services to students! To learn more about any of our student services or schedule an individual appointment, please contact us.
Major and career exploration
Finding a major or career path doesn't happen overnight. Whether students have tentative ideas about or are quite uncertain of a major or career, NSU Career Services can help. Students can make an appointment with us and sign up for a career/interest inventory - we'll work together to discover educational and occupational interests, skills, and values that can lead to meaningful future employment.
Career Services staff present skill-building workshops that focus on preparing NSU students for their professional careers. Workshop topics range from résumé building to job search skills.
Internships and job shadowing
An internship is an opportunity for students to gain professional experience related to their career field. Internships can be for credit, pay, professional experience or a combination of all three! NSU students should work closely with their academic advisor, faculty internship coordinator and Career Services staff to find internships that meet academic objectives and provide valuable professional experience.
is an excellent chance for students to try out careers on a short-term basis. Job shadowing allows students to observe area professionals completing daily tasks in a given field. Career Services staff can arrange job shadowing experiences.
Resume or cover letter critiques, practice interviews
Developing a résumé, cover letter, reference sheet and social media profile are all helpful strategies to land a job. Students preparing these materials will find critiques, constructive feedback and other assistance at the Career Center.
The center can be an excellent resource to help students become familiar with the interview process, learn common interview questions and strategies for answering, and even practice interview sessions with area professionals!
Graduate and professional school planning
For students who intend to pursue graduate or professional studies, the center can help define goals and interests, explore graduate school options, and navigate the application process. Test preparation materials are available for students to borrow.
The Career Center maintains active employment links for students and alumni. Current students and alumni will find part-time (both on- and off-campus), full-time, summer, and internship opportunities on WolfWork, NSU's online employment database.
For additional employment links and resources, NSU students should visit Career Services on MyNSU or visit the Career Services Center in Student Center 240.
Student and Alumni Employment
WolfWork User Guides
- Employer User Guide for posting and managing positions.
- All jobs that employers send to NSU Career Services are located on WolfWork.
- WolfWork connects students and alumni to work-study and student labor positions; part-time, summer, or temporary local jobs in the Aberdeen area; and professional full-time careers or internships.
- Students and alumni must register for access to WolfWork. Once registration is approved, users may search for positions by a variety of criteria, including location, major, or industry.
- Career Services hosts job fairs on campus each semester. Through local and statewide partnerships, the center also assists with the South Dakota BIG Job Fair, the South Dakota Teacher Job Fair, and an Aberdeen-area employment fair.
- For more information about on-campus recruiting and fairs, please contact Career Services.
- Through WolfWork, students can search online for jobs, internships and job-search information. WolfWork lists job and internship vacancies of all types: full time, part time, summer and on-campus.
- To use WolfWork, students and alumni register using an email address and student ID number. Employers should search for their organization when creating a new account.
- For assistance, please contact Career Services.
Services for Alumni
NSU graduates maintain unlimited access to the online employment site WolfWork, and may participate in campus career fairs at no charge. Alumni also can schedule and attend four individual appointments within six months after their graduation term. Appointment topics may include résumé or cover letter critiques, interview preparation, and graduate school planning. Alumni who need additional services will be referred to their local department of labor branch or affiliate organization. Alumni seeking information on teacher credential files should contact Career Services.
Services for Employers
NSU's Career Services Center connects employers and our campus. Opportunities for and services to employers include:
- Coordinating of on-campus recruiting and interviews. Private interview rooms are provided by request.
- Posting and managing internships, part-time, and full-time vacancies on WolfWork. To post open positions on WolfWork, please see the WolfWork User Guide for Employers. The center also accepts information on job vacancies by phone, fax, email, or U.S. mail.
- Hosting career development workshops and mock interviews.
- Implementing on-campus NSU employment fairs and partnering with the local and the statewide BIG Job Fair and SD Teacher Job Fair.
- For more recruiting information, please contact NSU Career Services.