Concerns and Complaints

Report a Concern or Complaint

NSU is committed to respecting members of our campus community and providing a quality educational experience for all students. The objective of the Non-Academic Complaint Form is to ensure that concerns and complaints are addressed fairly and resolved promptly.


Non-academic complaints are generally the result of a concern that the student feels is unjust, unequitable, or creates an unnecessary hardship.


The Non-Academic Complaint Form is not intended to be used for reports of sexual misconduct, academic grievances, or academic integrity complaints.


We begin the process of complaint resolution within 3 business days of receipt of this form. We strive to resolve complaints within 30 days of submission, though some policies and procedures may require an extension of that time frame.



Report an Incident

Have you witnessed or experienced an incident? You can report it.


Students, as well as NSU faculty, staff, and guests, are encouraged to report any incident of concern to the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities (OSRR). Do not provide names or contact information if the person reporting the incident requests confidentiality.


This form may be used to report information necessary to initiate an investigation of alleged discrimination, harassment, sexual or gender-harassment, domestic or dating violence, stalking, academic misconduct, behavioral concerns, and a violation of the Residence Life Code of Conduct or the NSU Student Code of Conduct.


Incident Reporting Form


In an emergency or crisis situation that requires immediate intervention, call 9-911 from a campus phone or 911 from all other phones.



Student Academic Grievance Procedure

Students who feel that they have been aggrieved by a decision or action of a Northern faculty member relating to class absences, grades, and classroom behavior shall follow the Academic Grievance Procedure if they wish to bring their grievances to a resolution.



File a Formal Complaint with the University’s Accreditor, the Higher Learning Commission

To file a formal complaint with Northern State University’s accreditor, please visit Submit a Complaint to the Higher Learning Commission.



File a Formal Complaint with the South Dakota Division of Consumer Protection

Office of Attorney General

Division of Consumer Protection


Email: consumer-help

Web: To access the process through which to file a formal complaint, visit Division of Consumer Protection Complaint Form


1302 E Hwy 14 Ste 3

Pierre, SD 57501

Phone: 605-773-4400, 1-800-300-1986 (in-state only)

Fax: 605-773-7163