ABERDEEN, S.D. – Northern State University is shelving or postponing additional Gypsy Day events due to the inclement weather.
Postponed or Delayed
- The groundbreaking ceremony for the on-campus sports complex has been postponed.
- The NSU swim meet versus Augustana has been postponed.
- NSU Soccer’s matchup versus Minnesota Duluth has been moved back to a 4 p.m. start Friday.
- The NSU Foundation’s 50-Year Club luncheon (11:30 a.m. Friday) has been cancelled.
- Saturday’s Steps for Shep 5K Walk/Run has been cancelled.
Taking place as schedule
- The Hall of Fame banquet at the Dakota Events Center will still take place at 5 p.m. Friday.
- Saturday’s home football game remains scheduled for 2:30 p.m. at Swisher Field.
“The safety of our students, alumni and the community is our top priority,” NSU President Dr. Tim Downs said. “It’s unfortunate that the weather has played this big of factor for this year’s Gypsy Days week.”
Yesterday, Northern announced plans to alter its annual Gypsy Day parade. Instead of a parade down Main Street, organizations are encouraged to showcase their floats in the Swisher Field tailgate lot. Entrance to the lot for parade entrants begins at 8 a.m. Saturday. Tailgating begins at 11 a.m.
Downs stressed that, despite this rare change in homecoming plans, the spirit of Gypsy Days remains strong.
Those attending any upcoming weekend events are encouraged to dress appropriately for the weather.
About Northern State University
Northern State University is a regional university that offers outstanding academics and exceptional extracurricular activities at an affordable price on a safe, welcoming campus. Northern State recently announced its Educational Impact Campaign, with a goal of raising $55 million for a new South Dakota School for the Blind and Visually Impaired, new athletic and recreation fields, and an on-campus regional sports complex. Once the campaign is complete, NSU will be the recipient of more than $100 million in privately funded building projects and scholarships within a decade. To learn more, visit NSU Admissions.