Welcome to the NSU News Update - providing information on events happening on campus or involving NSU students, staff and faculty.
To submit a news item, send it via email to NSUNews@northern.edu by 5 p.m. Thursday of the week before the announcement should run.
- Current Mask Level: NSU is at Level 3, which requires face coverings in all public indoor spaces on campus. Learn more about the SDBOR Face Covering Protocol here.
- Webpage Updates: Northern has updated its COVID-19 Webpage, now including various FAQs for students, faculty and staff.
- Requesting Supplies: To request COVID-19 supplies from NSU Facilities (such as cloth face masks and hand sanitizer), please work with your supervisor to determine the proposed needs for your entire department. Assuming the recommended expenditure has been approved, your department is encouraged to submit its order using this online form
- Student Emergency Relief Fund: The NSU Foundation has created a Student Emergency Relief Fund to assist students impacted by COVID-19 or other emergencies. This fund is made possible thanks to gifts from the university’s generous donors. To make a contribution, visit the NSU Foundation Giving webpage, or contact the Foundation at 605-626-2550 or firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about the fund, including eligibility, click here.
Wolves Triathlon Registration
Registration for the annual Wolves Triathlon is now open. Students receive a discount. Participants can register as individuals or as a team. Register here. The event will take place on Sunday, Aug. 30. All of the registration fees go to supporting the NSU Swimming and Track/Cross Country teams.
Fall 2020 NSU Band Auditions
Auditions for the NSU Symphonic Band and Orchestra Winds/Percussion will be held on stage in the Jewett Theater:
- Wednesday Aug. 26: Noon-3 p.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 27: Noon-3 p.m.
The audition will consist of:
- Chromatic scale – full range of your instrument to the extent you are able.
- You will be asked to play one of the following Major scales: A, D, Ab, Eb.
- Prepared piece/solo or etude of your choosing (maximum of 3 minutes in length).
- Brief sight reading.
- Sign up for a 5-minute audition time here.
Symphonic Band rehearsal schedule:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, 3-4 p.m.
- Due to Marching Band, Mondays only through Gypsy Days)
- First rehearsal is Monday, Aug. 31, at 3 p.m. in Jewett Theater
- Questions? Contact Rolf.Olson@northern.edu.
Orchestra rehearsal schedule:
- Tuesday evenings from 7 to 9 p.m. in Jewett Theater
- Orchestra first rehearsal is Tuesday, Aug. 25, at 7 p.m. in Jewett Theater
- Questions? Contact C.Stanichar@northern.edu.
NSU Concert Band:
- If you would like to play in the non-auditioned NSU Concert Band, please contact Audrey.email@example.com.
Concert Band rehearsal schedule:
- Monday evenings from 7 to 9 p.m. in Jewett Theater.
- First Concert Band rehearsal is Monday, Aug. 31, at 7 p.m. in Jewett Theater.
NSU to Celebrate Constitution Day
NSU will celebrate Constitution Day on Thursday, Sept. 17, which commemorates the Sept. 17, 1787, signing of the United States Constitution. For more information about Constitution Day at NSU, contact Dr. Ric Dias at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit NSU Constitution Day to find information such as Constitution Fun Facts and an interactive quiz.
Archives Reading Room Appointments
Access to the Library’s Archives Reading Room will be by appointment only, starting Aug. 17. To make an appointment, email email@example.com or call 605-626-7771.
Students: Fall Textbooks Now Available
Fall textbooks are now available for sale or rent at the NSU Wolf Shoppe. All web orders will be shipped at a charge of $5. Due to CDC social distancing recommendations, in-store pick up will not be available.
Back-to-School Workshop Speaker’s Books Available at Wolf Shoppe
Two books by Brian Mendler, the keynote speaker for Northern's 13th Annual Back to School Workshop, are available at the NSU Wolf Shoppe. The titles are the best-seller "That One Kid," as well as "Watch Your Mouth." The books are each $19.95, and customers will receive a 20 percent discount. They are available in store or on the Wolf Shoppe website (search TRADEBOOKS). For more information on the Aug. 12 workshop, click here.
NSU Reading Clinic Waiving Fees
The NSU Reading Clinic will offer free tutoring services for children this fall to assist families dealing with the financial impact of the pandemic. The Reading Clinic, located in Williams Library on the Northern campus, is an after-school tutoring program providing literacy assessment and instruction for students in grades 1-12 at any reading level. Education majors from the Millicent Atkins School of Education provide these tutoring services, working one-on-one with students. Fall 2020 tutoring is tentatively set to begin on Aug. 19. Social distancing and sanitation guidelines will be in place, and participants are asked to wear masks. For more information or to register, contact Dr. Timothy Houge, director, at 605-626-3169.
Homecoming Parade registration now open
Online registration for the 106th annual Gypsy Day Parade is now open. The parade is set for Saturday, Sept. 26, at 9 a.m. Entrants will decorate their float based on the theme of “Howling 2020s.” Read more here. For more information about the parade and registration process, visit NSU’s homecoming page, use the online Parade Form, or contact the NSU Student Affairs office at 605-626-3007.
Hall of Fame Banquet
The NSU Hall of Fame Banquet will take place at 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 25, at the Dakota Event Center in Aberdeen. The 2020 inductees are alumni Jacob Hamik; Carlton Hupke; Adam Kampsen; Amanda (Madden) Mahlke; Kevin Ratzsch; and Brenda and Jim Fuller, former NSU track and field coaches. Click here for more information.
Chris Arnade, author of “Dignity: Seeking Respect in Backrow America,” will deliver the NSU Larry and Julie Poeppel Family Common Read Lecture at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 14 in the Johnson Fine Arts Center. The event is free and open to the public. No tickets are required. Doors open at 6:45 p.m. The book is available for purchase on the Wolf Shoppe website under “Trade Books” for $18.95.
Message from Tech Services
NET Services is committed to providing the best service to the campus community and doing our part to keep everyone safe. In alignment with NSU’s COVID-19 response, Tech Services will now be assisting customers at our Support Desk window by appointment only.
To book an appointment with Tech Services:
- Click here to visit our Support Desk Bookings page
- If prompted, log in with your NSU credentials
- Select the service you require and a day/time that is convenient for you
- Add your name, email, and a short description of the issue you wish to meet about
- Click Book to submit your request
Currently the exterior Tech Center doors are locked as are the doors immediately outside of the Support Desk area. When your appointment time nears, one of our Tech Services team members will meet you at the North entrance to allow you access. We will be wearing our masks and ask that you do as well.
We look forward to meeting with you!
Employee Assistance Plan
Benefits eligible staff: Please keep in mind that your benefits plans include free use of our Employee Assistance Plan. Every eligible staff member has five free visits available with a counselor. If you need assistance, please utilize this wonderful benefit, found at this link; the password is southdakota.
Password Expiration Reminders
NSU Net Services is implementing password expiration reminders. Beginning four days prior to your password expiration date (which happens every six months), you will receive a daily email with instructions on how to change your password. You must be registered with Northern’s self-service password reset service in order to reset your password without contacting the Support Desk. If you are not registered, and your password expires after Support Desk hours, you may lose access to many services including D2L, Banner, Zoom, Microsoft O365, Library databases and campus WiFi until the next business day. If you have not registered for the self-service password reset service, please visit the Password Reset Page and select the Register or Change Info option.
Upcoming Wolves Events
Stay up to date with NSU Wolves news on the athletics webpage.