Welcome to the NSU News Update - providing information on events happening on campus or involving NSU students, staff and faculty.
To submit a news item, send it via email to NSUNews@northern.edu by 5 p.m. Thursday of the week before the announcement should run.
- Mask Level: NSU is at Level 3, which requires face coverings in all public indoor spaces on campus. Learn more about the SDBOR Face Covering Protocol here.
- Webpage Updates: Northern has updated its COVID-19 Webpage, now including various FAQs for students, faculty and staff.
- Requesting Supplies: To request COVID-19 supplies from NSU Facilities, please work with your supervisor to determine the proposed needs for your entire department and submit an order using this online form.
Free Online Tutoring Sessions
The NSU Tutoring Center offers free online sessions to any Northern student for all general education classes and most upper-level classes. The sessions are conducted through Zoom, which allows real-time interaction between students and tutors. For more information or to set up an online tutoring session, students can email email@example.com
Check Your NSU Mailbox
Students living on-campus: Remember to check your NSU mailbox in the lower level of the Avera Student Center! If you don’t know your box number and combination, stop at the post office window and someone will help you.
‘I am woman. Hear me vote.’
Faculty, staff, and students are all invited to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment, which gave women the vote on Aug. 26. To commemorate this largest enfranchisement in history, join us on a celebratory march through campus, which will culminate with a re-enactment of a famous speech from the era on the steps of Lincoln Hall. Join marchers in the parking lot of Steele Hall at 12:30 p.m. The speech will begin at about 12:50 p.m. The League of Women Voters will be helping students register to vote from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Avera Student Center on Aug. 26. Displays of period artifacts from the Dacotah Prairie Museum, along with cartoons and posters from the era, will be set up in the Avera Student Center the entire week of Aug. 24. A poster contest to get out the vote is ongoing, and posters will be displayed in the Red Rooster Coffee House community room. Students may enter the contest at any time, with award-winners announced on Constitution Day, Sept. 17. For more information, contact NSU Executive Director of Student Success Dr. Stacie Varnson at 605-626-7781.
Fall 2020 NSU Band Auditions
Auditions for the NSU Symphonic Band and Orchestra Winds/Percussion will be held on stage in the Jewett Theater:
- Wednesday Aug. 26: Noon-3 p.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 27: Noon-3 p.m.
The audition will consist of:
- Chromatic scale – full range of your instrument to the extent you are able.
- You will be asked to play one of the following Major scales: A, D, Ab, Eb.
- Prepared piece/solo or etude of your choosing (maximum of 3 minutes in length).
- Brief sight reading.
- Sign up for a 5-minute audition time here.
Symphonic Band rehearsal schedule:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, 3-4 p.m.
- Due to Marching Band, Mondays only through Gypsy Days)
- First rehearsal is Monday, Aug. 31, at 3 p.m. in Jewett Theater
- Questions? Contact Rolf.Olson@northern.edu.
Orchestra rehearsal schedule:
- Tuesday evenings from 7 to 9 p.m. in Jewett Theater
- Orchestra first rehearsal is Tuesday, Aug. 25, at 7 p.m. in Jewett Theater
- Questions? Contact C.Stanichar@northern.edu.
NSU Concert Band:
- If you would like to play in the non-auditioned NSU Concert Band, please contact Audrey.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Concert Band rehearsal schedule:
- Monday evenings from 7 to 9 p.m. in Jewett Theater.
- First Concert Band rehearsal is Monday, Aug. 31, at 7 p.m. in Jewett Theater.
Wolves Triathlon Registration
Registration for the annual Wolves Triathlon is now open. Students receive a discount. Participants can register as individuals or as a team. Register here. The event will take place on Sunday, Aug. 30. All of the registration fees go to supporting the NSU Swimming and Track/Cross Country teams.
Labor Day Reminder
Please remember that Labor Day, Sept. 7, will be a day of classes and a day of work for all employees. The holiday will be recognized, instead, on Dec. 28. Employees must use the regular leave process if they want to be gone that day.
Archives Reading Room Appointments
Access to the Library’s Archives Reading Room is now by appointment only. To make an appointment, email email@example.com or call 605-626-7771.
NSU to Celebrate Constitution Day
NSU will celebrate Constitution Day on Thursday, Sept. 17, which commemorates the Sept. 17, 1787, signing of the United States Constitution. For more information about Constitution Day at NSU, contact Dr. Ric Dias at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit NSU Constitution Day to find information such as Constitution Fun Facts and an interactive quiz.
Homecoming Parade registration now open
Online registration for the 106th annual Gypsy Day Parade is now open. The parade is set for Saturday, Sept. 26, at 9 a.m. Entrants will decorate their float based on the theme of “Howling 2020s.” Read more here. For more information about the parade and registration process, visit NSU’s homecoming page, use the online Parade Form, or contact the NSU Student Affairs office at 605-626-3007.
Hall of Fame Banquet
The NSU Hall of Fame Banquet will take place at 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 25, at the Dakota Event Center in Aberdeen. The 2020 inductees are alumni Jacob Hamik; Carlton Hupke; Adam Kampsen; Amanda (Madden) Mahlke; Kevin Ratzsch; and Brenda and Jim Fuller, former NSU track and field coaches. Click here for more information.
Chris Arnade, author of “Dignity: Seeking Respect in Backrow America,” will deliver the NSU Larry and Julie Poeppel Family Common Read Lecture at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 14 in the Johnson Fine Arts Center. The event is free and open to the public. No tickets are required. Doors open at 6:45 p.m. The book is available for purchase on the Wolf Shoppe website under “Trade Books” for $18.95.
Message from Tech Services
NET Services is committed to providing the best service to the campus community and doing our part to keep everyone safe. In alignment with NSU’s COVID-19 response, Tech Services will now be assisting customers at our Support Desk window by appointment only.
To book an appointment with Tech Services:
- Click here to visit our Support Desk Bookings page
- If prompted, log in with your NSU credentials
- Select the service you require and a day/time that is convenient for you
- Add your name, email, and a short description of the issue you wish to meet about
- Click Book to submit your request
Currently the exterior Tech Center doors are locked as are the doors immediately outside of the Support Desk area. When your appointment time nears, one of our Tech Services team members will meet you at the North entrance to allow you access. We will be wearing our masks and ask that you do as well.
We look forward to meeting with you!
Employee Assistance Plan
Benefits eligible staff: Please keep in mind that your benefits plans include free use of our Employee Assistance Plan. Every eligible staff member has five free visits available with a counselor. If you need assistance, please utilize this wonderful benefit, found at this link; the password is southdakota.
Password Expiration Reminders
NSU Net Services is implementing password expiration reminders. Beginning four days prior to your password expiration date (which happens every six months), you will receive a daily email with instructions on how to change your password. You must be registered with Northern’s self-service password reset service in order to reset your password without contacting the Support Desk. If you are not registered, and your password expires after Support Desk hours, you may lose access to many services including D2L, Banner, Zoom, Microsoft O365, Library databases and campus WiFi until the next business day. If you have not registered for the self-service password reset service, please visit the Password Reset Page and select the Register or Change Info option.
Upcoming Wolves Events
Stay up to date with NSU Wolves news on the athletics webpage.