Welcome to the NSU News Update - providing information on events happening on campus or involving NSU students, staff and faculty.
To submit a news item, send it via email to NSUNews@northern.edu by 5 p.m. Thursday of the week before the announcement should run.
- Current Self-Reported Case Count: Total active cases: 7 (3 students; 4 faculty/staff). Total quarantined or isolated: 6 (0 on campus; 6 off campus). (Numbers as of Dec. 16, 2020; please note: those in quarantine/isolation aren’t necessarily confirmed or symptomatic cases)
- Mask Level: NSU is at Level 3, which requires face coverings in all public indoor spaces on campus. Learn more about the SDBOR Face Covering Protocol here.
- Webpage Updates: Northern has updated its COVID-19 Webpage, now including various FAQs for students, faculty and staff.
- Requesting Supplies: To request COVID-19 supplies from NSU Facilities, please work with your supervisor to determine the proposed needs for your entire department and submit an order using this online form.
New Look, Location for SNAP
SNAP has a new look and location after having been transferred from the SNAP portal to myNSU as part of an SDBOR system change.
Though colors and layout are slightly different, much of the SNAP site will look the same as before.
Access SNAP from myNSU:
- Go to https://portal.sdbor.edu
- Log in and choose:
- “SNAP” under Applications (right side of page)
- “SNAP” under NSU Links (right side of page) or
- “SNAP” near the bottom of the left navigation (pop-out menu)
You may also access SNAP via these direct links:
- https://portal.sdbor.edu/nsu-student/SNAP/Pages/default.aspx (students)
- https://portal.sdbor.edu/nsu-fac-staff/snap/Pages/default.aspx (faculty/staff)
Please update any bookmarked links in your browsers.
The old SNAP site remains active at https://snap.sdbor.edu/, but is scheduled to be unavailable after Dec. 31, 2020.
If you need more information or assistance, please contact the Support Desk at 605-626-2283 or email@example.com.
Northern Lights Taking Submissions
Northern Lights is taking submissions for the 2021 issue of Northern Lights. We need more than the submissions we currently have to make a magazine for next semester. Students can submit their stories, poetry, art, creative nonfiction, photography, original essays, short films and songs to firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on Facebook! Accepted submissions will be included in our literary magazine that is released in March 2021. Please submit all written works as a Word document (.docx) or a PDF (.pdf), and any artworks as a JPEG (.jpeg) or JPG (.jpg) file. Submissions are open until Dec. 31, 2020. If you have any questions, contact our president, Madi ilber, email@example.com, and she can answer any questions concerning how to submit or other questions.
Engaging Online Learners
Faculty members are invite to join colleagues from fellow public liberal arts college Truman State University, a COPLAC (Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges) institution located in northeastern Missouri, for an interactive and engaging session on “Communicating in an Online Environment: Engaging Online Learners.” The event, featuring Dr. Marcia Dixson, Associate Vice Chancellor for Teaching and Learning at Purdue Fort Wayne University, will take place Thursday, Jan. 7, from 9 to 11:30 a.m. via Zoom (Passcode 3U0w+C). After Dr. Dixson’s interactive presentation, faculty from Northern State and Truman State will break into discussion groups to meet, discuss Dr. Dixson’s ideas, and talk through how they might work in courses in our respective disciplines. Please RSVP by noon Monday, Jan. 4, so we can plan ahead with Truman State. To RSVP, point your phone camera to the QR code in the attached flier, or click on this link. This event is sponsored by NSU Online and Continuing Education (OCE) and Truman State with support from NSU CETL.
Job Openings at NSU
Just a reminder that NSU posts all current job openings at the SDBOR website. Remember to check out the site for opportunities around campus!
Employee Assistance Plan
Benefits eligible staff: Please keep in mind that your benefits plans include free use of our Employee Assistance Plan. Every eligible staff member has five free visits available with a counselor. If you need assistance, please utilize this wonderful benefit, found at this link; the password is southdakota.
Stay up to date with NSU Wolves news on the athletics webpage.