Welcome to the NSU News Update - providing information on events happening on campus or involving NSU students, staff and faculty.
To submit a news item, send it via email to NSUNews@northern.edu by 5 p.m. Thursday of the week before the announcement should run.
- Current Self-Reported Case Count: Total active cases: 5 (2 students; 3 faculty/staff). Total quarantined or isolated: 23 (8 on campus; 15 off campus). (Numbers as of Jan. 24, 2021; please note: those in quarantine/isolation aren’t necessarily confirmed or symptomatic cases)
- Mask Level: NSU is at Level 3, which requires face coverings in all public indoor spaces on campus. Learn more about the SDBOR Face Covering Protocol here.
- Webpage Updates: Northern has updated its COVID-19 Webpage, now including various FAQs for students, faculty and staff.
- Requesting Supplies: To request COVID-19 supplies from NSU Facilities, please work with your supervisor to determine the proposed needs for your entire department and submit an order using this online form.
Introduction to 3D Printing
Williams Library is hosting a virtual program entitled Introduction to 3D Printing at 4 p.m. Feb. 2 in the library. Attendees will learn about 3D printing and the 3D printing services at Williams Library. The presentation is open to all NSU students, faculty and staff. To attend, RSVP to email@example.com by 5 p.m. Jan. 29.
Water Wolves Program
NSU Swimming is running swim lessons through our Water Wolves program. We are looking for swim instructors to work spring sessions. Swim lesson experience is preferred but not required. For more information or to apply, please contact Mikaela Waiflein at Mikaela.M.Waiflein@northern.edu.
Upcoming CETL Programs
- Please join the CETL Team Tuesday, Feb. 2, at 4 p.m. for a great discussion on pedagogical strategies. We would love for you to describe your favorite assignment or project. We will be in MJ 203 at 4 p.m. with snacks, smiles and great conversation. If you can’t join us in MJ 203, please join us on Zoom. Password: K6rBW0.
- Join CETL and Sponsored Projects for two joint Grant Panel discussions on Monday, Feb. 8, and Monday, Feb. 22. Both sessions will be held at noon in MJ 203 and in this Zoom room. The Feb. 8 event will focus on how to find and submit grants. We will discuss Pivot, listservs and the role played by the Office of Sponsored Projects. Several NSU faculty will also share their personal experiences with finding grants and what they learned during that process. The Feb. 22 event will focus on how to write and produce grants. We will further explain the role of the Office of Sponsored Projects and listen to more NSU faculty speak about their experiences writing and procuring grants. We will provide a free lunch as long as you RSVP by emailing CETL@northern.edu. If you plan to attend via Zoom, use passcode: 45jkDE.
Northern Galleries Virtual Artist Talk
NSU will hold a virtual artist talk for artist and NSU alumna Becky Grismer, whose exhibit, “Taking Root,” is currently on display in the Johnson Fine Arts Center Art Gallery. The virtual event, hosted by Northern Galleries, will take place on Feb. 4 at 8 p.m. Central Time. Grismer, of Spearfish, will discuss her artistic process and the various thematic elements of her exhibit. There will be also be a question and answer session. The public is invited to join this free event via this Zoom link. For more information, visit the NSU Art Department Facebook page. “Taking Root” will be on display through Feb. 19. Learn more about the exhibit here, view it virtually on the NSU Art Galleries webpage, or see it in person in JFAC Gallery. Please note that masks are required in all public indoor spaces on campus.
Black History Month Campus Movie Night
The Northern State Athletics Council on Community, Culture and Social Justice in partnership with the Multicultural Student Affairs Office and the Student Government Association is sponsoring a Black History Month campus movie night on Monday, Feb. 15, in the Barnett Center, beginning at 7 p.m. Visit the council's Twitter page or CLICK HERE to cast your vote for the three movie options (Remember the Titans, Just Mercy, Hidden Figures). Follow us on Twitter @NSU_CCSJ for information and programming throughout the year!
Online Tutoring Sessions
The NSU Tutoring Center offers free online sessions to any Northern student for all general education courses and most upper-level courses. The sessions are conducted via Zoom, which allows real-time interaction between students and tutors. For more information or to set up an online tutoring session, students can email firstname.lastname@example.org
Employee Assistance Plan
Benefits eligible staff: Please keep in mind that your benefits plans include free use of our Employee Assistance Plan. Every eligible staff member has five free visits available with a counselor. If you need assistance, please utilize this wonderful benefit, found at this link; the password is southdakota.
Stay up to date with NSU Wolves news on the athletics webpage.