Welcome to the NSU News Update - providing information on events happening on campus or involving NSU students, staff and faculty.
To submit a news item, send it via email to NSUNews@northern.edu by 5 p.m. Thursday of the week before the announcement should run.
The COVID-19 vaccine is now widely available in South Dakota, and Northern State University encourages all members of the campus community to get vaccinated if they are able.
Vaccines can be scheduled at the following links:
- Aberdeen Community Health Center
- Lewis Family Drug
- S.D. Department of Health Vaccine Provider Map
The NSU campus is a mask-optional environment. Learn more at NSU COVID-19.
Summer Training with Instructional Technology Services
Join Instructional Technology Services for training opportunities this summer! We encourage all to attend.
- Adobe Premiere (Session 2 of 2): Monday, Aug. 9, at 1 p.m. in MJ 203 or Zoom (Zoom Attendee Link)
- OneDrive: Tuesday, Aug. 10, at 10 a.m. in MJ 203 or Zoom (Zoom Attendee Link)
Faculty Training for Online Teaching Workshop Series
Instructional Designer Danette Long will run the Faculty Training for Online Teaching workshop series for new and returning Northern faculty this week. The series has three parts that you must attend to receive your completion certificate. The meeting days, times and Zoom links are listed below. Please join on the day/time of the sessions. There is no need to register in advance; she will be there each day to greet anyone attending.
- Meeting ID: 970 5905 5919
- Passcode: 7dz93d
- Session 1: Aug. 10 – Online Teaching Overview & SDBOR/Northern Documents
- Session 2: Aug. 11 – Instructor Presence & Community of Inquiry
- Session 3: Aug. 12 – LMS Implementation for Online
At the conclusion of this training, you will receive a certificate indicating you have completed the online training and your name will be forwarded to OCE and other NSU leadership as having completed the training series. Please feel free to reach out with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 14th Annual Back-to-School Workshop will take place 8 a.m.-noon Aug. 17 at the NSU Johnson Fine Arts Center. The workshop will be led by Ms. Dorina Sackman-Ebuwa, who is known as "The Lab Coat Teacher" and, affectionately, “Miss Dorito” by her students from around the globe. A video greeting from Ms. Sackman-Ebuwa can be viewed here. The workshop will take place in person as well as on Zoom. The Zoom registration can be found here. Northern is also offering a companion course for educators and administrators, “Cultural Competency and Emotional Intelligence.” Register online here. To learn more about this event and other continuing education programs, visit NSU Online and Continuing Education or call 605-626-2568. Read more here.
New Student Convocation
New Student Convocation is Friday, Aug. 20. Faculty and staff, please arrive by 3:40 p.m. and gather in the Red Room (117), Johnson Fine Arts Center. We hope this new tradition provides students a more formal and yet exciting welcome to their undergraduate experience. New Student Convocation is the bookend to graduation – the start of their student journey and the first formal gathering of our new class of students. This event is an important part of a student’s transition from high school students or transfer students to Northern State University Wolves! Please RSVP to Jerilyn Mielke. The Stage Party will lead faculty and staff into Jewett Theater and help to form a receiving line as students are led by President Schnoor and SGA Vice President Laine Converse to the Wolf Pack Picnic at 5 p.m. on the Campus Green. We are asking faculty and staff to wear maroon this day as part of our “Maroon Out” sponsored by the Aberdeen Area Chamber of Commerce and NSU Foundation. Faculty and staff are welcome to enjoy the Wolf Pack Picnic with our new students and their families. New Student Convocation is Key Result 51 of the Student Affairs Strategic Action Plan (2021-2025).
NSU Women’s Choir
Rehearsals for the NSU/Aberdeen’s Women's Choir will take place Tuesdays from 5:15 to 6:45 p.m. starting Aug. 24. The choir, directed by Dr. Wendy van Gent, will rehearse in the Johnson Fine Arts Center Choir Room. For more information, email email@example.com.
Fall 2021 Auditions
- Wind Ensemble, AUCS Winds/Percussion: Auditions for the NSU Wind Ensemble and AUCS Winds/Percussion will be held on stage in the Jewett Theater:
- Wednesday, Aug. 25: Noon-3 p.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 26: Noon-3 p.m.
- The audition will consist of:
- Chromatic scale – full range of your instrument to the extent you are able
- One of the following Major scales in your key of: A, D, Ab, Eb
- Prepared piece/solo or etude of your choosing (maximum of 3 minutes in length).
- Brief sight reading
- Sign up for a 5-minute audition time here.
- String auditions for the AUCS: AUCS string auditions will be held on stage in JFAC 120 (Dr. Stanichar’s office) for ALL current NSU students who wish to play strings in the AUCS:
- Monday, Aug. 23: Noon-3 p.m.
- OR by appointment with Dr. Stanichar.
- The audition will consist of:
- You will be asked to play TWO of the following scales (2-3 octaves): G major, Bb major, C melodic minor or A major.
- Prepared piece/solo or etude of your choosing (maximum of 2 minutes in length).
- Brief sight reading.
- Sign up for a 5-minute audition time on Dr. Stanichar’s (JFAC 120) office or email your preferred time to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wind Ensemble Rehearsal Schedule: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 3-4 p.m., starting Oct. 4; (Monday-only rehearsals Aug.30-Sept. 27). Wind Ensemble first rehearsal is Monday, Aug. 30, at 3 p.m. in Jewett Theater. Questions? Contact Rolf.Olson@northern.edu.
- AUCS Rehearsal Schedule: Tuesday evenings from 7 to 9 in Jewett Theater. AUCS first rehearsal is Tuesday, Aug. 24, at 7 p.m. in Jewett Theater. Questions? Contact C.Stanichar@northern.edu.
- NSU Concert Band: If you would like to play in the non-auditioned NSU Concert Band, please contact Audrey.email@example.com. Concert band rehearsal schedule: Monday evenings from 7 to 9 p.m. in Jewett Theater. First Concert Band rehearsal is Monday, Aug. 30, at 7 p.m. in Jewett Theater.
Regional Sports Complex Ribbon Cutting
A ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held for the NSU Regional Sports Complex, which includes Dacotah Bank Stadium and Koehler Hall of Fame Softball Field. The ceremony will take place at 2 p.m. Friday, Sept. 10. Attendees should use the northwest entrance of Dacotah Bank Stadium.
Registrar/Financial Aid Move
The NSU Financial Aid and Registrar’s offices have moved from Dacotah Hall 103 to the Jewett Science Center 209A through the end of September. Financial Aid can be reached at 605-626-2640 or firstname.lastname@example.org, and the Registrar’s Office can be reached at 605-626-2012 or email@example.com.
Parade registration now open
Gypsy Day 2021 is Saturday, Oct. 2, with the 105th annual parade that morning in downtown Aberdeen. Parade registration is now open, as of 8 a.m. June 1, at this link. Entrants will decorate their float based on the theme, and a panel of judges comprised of Northern and community leaders will present awards in various categories. Homecoming week takes place Sept. 27-Oct. 2, with the theme of “Wolves of the Galaxy.” The week’s festivities will also include coronation of a queen and marshal. This year, the annual Gypsy Day football game will be played in the brand new Dacotah Bank Stadium, part of the Regional Sports Complex opening this fall on the NSU campus. For ticket information, visit nsuwolves.com. For more information, visit the NSU homecoming webpage or contact the NSU Student Affairs office at 605-626-3007.
2021 Common Read
Northern’s fall 2021 Common Read book will be “Disability Visibility: First-Person Stories from the Twenty-First Century,” by Alice Wong. Wong will deliver the 2021 NSU Larry and Julie Poeppel Family Common Read Lecture at 7 p.m. Oct. 13. Attendees are invited to gather in the Johnson Fine Arts Center’s Jewett Theater to listen to Wong, who will present live via Zoom. The event is free and open to the public. Students may order copies of the book through Akademos when they order their fall textbooks. The book is also available for purchase at the NSU Wolf Shoppe for $12.95 (plus tax). Read more here!
Name Tag Orders
NSU Communications and Marketing orders name tags for employees once a month. To request a name tag for the next campus-wide order, fill out this online form.
Stay up to date with NSU Wolves news on the athletics webpage.