The Tutoring Center at Northern provides a comprehensive support system to help ensure academic success for every student. Within the Tutoring Center, students can find personalized help with reading, writing, math and more from trained tutors who are successful, motivated and faculty-recommended. Current NSU students can make appointments and access other Tutoring Center resources on myNSU.
- Math Center: The Math Center pairs trained students with other students who need help with math. We provide free math help to all Northern students. Our goal is to help students improve their knowledge and skill in math and to develop a math work ethic. Math Center tutors are have a successful academic math record, teaching experience and ability.
- Reading Center: The Reading Center helps prepare students for success in developmental reading, reading-intensive courses, and test taking. Reading tutors are students who have been successful in English and reading-intensive courses and possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. Reading tutors work with students enrolled in READ 041 with comprehension, vocabulary development and summarizing/responding, and help students with general classroom reading.
- Writing Center: The Writing Center pairs tutors with students who need assistance in any area of writing. Writing tutors have been successful in writing-related courses and have teaching ability and/or experience. The Writing Center will help students maximize current writing abilities, develop new writing skills, and master all stages of writing, from choosing a topic to polishing a final draft
The SI program provides academic support to students enrolled in certain courses. SI helps students learn study strategies and understand the subject. Support is provided through regularly scheduled, out-of-class, peer-facilitated sessions.
- Who can participate in SI? SI sessions are open to all students enrolled in courses participating in the program, and attendance is voluntary.
- Trained student leaders: SI sessions are led by successful Northern students who have a passion for the SI-specific subject and for helping students. SI leaders help students develop general and subject-specific study skills, and challenge students to build relationships and community with classmates through collaborative learning. Faculty-recommended SI leaders have completed training and will create a plan for each SI session.
- Find courses that offer SI sessions: Current students will find courses with available SI sessions listed on myNSU.