Undergraduate Studies at Northern State University
At Northern State University, you're more than just a number - you're a unique part of this community. Northern has everything you need to succeed, including:
- A wide variety of undergraduate majors and minors
- Small class sizes with a 19:1 student-to-faculty ratio
- One-on-one support and guidance from professors
- Experiential learning opportunities
- A wide variety of semester study abroad options
And with the support network Northern offers, anything you hope to achieve is possible.
Submit Your Application
Be Prepared for Success Starting from Day One
Transition easily into the college experience with Northern's First-Year Seminar (FYS). This program is your springboard into Northern State University, preparing you with courses designed to give you the skills and confidence for college success. FYS coursework focuses on topics such as critical thinking and writing, personal narratives, living and working in a diverse world, and group collaboration.
Gain Real-World Experience
Build hands-on skills outside the classroom that you’ll need to thrive professionally while you complete your degree. At Northern State University, you’ll become career-ready with:
- Collaborative research and one-on one opportunities with fellow classmates and professors
- Experiential learning and internships built into your curriculum
- Professional opportunities offered by the Aberdeen community
- Academic guidance, career planning and professional workshops offered by the Career Services team
Northern Experience Learning Opportunities
Get the Northern Experience with opportunities that will enhance your college education and help you thrive inside and outside the classroom.
Be a leader of the pack and join a group of academically talented and highly motivated students. Norther's nationally recognized Honors Program has been leading students toward success since 1983. As a member, you'll excel in the classroom and on campus with perks like:
Honors-only general education classes
Specialized academic and career advising from the Honors director
Living in the Honors-only learning community
Access to the Honors lounge in Avera Student Center and Honors-exclusive social events
Opportunity to present research at national and regional Honors conferences
Our Wolves are global! Take your education almost anywhere with Northern's study abroad program, with programs available for any major. With our hundreds of study-abroad options all over the world, you can travel with Northern faculty and students or venture out on your own.
Program types include:
- Faculty-led, short-term trips (during winter, spring and summer breaks)
- Service learning over spring break
- Semester-long study abroad
Research is a key component of a Northern education and is built into your undergraduate experience. At Northern, you'll have to opportunity to complete research individually or collaboratively with classmates and professors.
Academic Support Services
Get Involved with Academic Organizations
Build your skill set and make connections outside the classroom with others who share your interests. Northern offers academic clubs and organizations, campus leadership opportunities and living-learning communities to enrich your academic and social experience.
- Academic Clubs and Organizations
- Living-Learning Communities
Live and learn with other students who share your passions and interests. As a resident in a living-learning community, you'll be surrounded by a supportive network of hallmates, advisors and faculty.
Northern offers living-learning communities for:
- Honors Program
- TRIO SSS