Report an Incident

Students, as well as Northern faculty, staff, and guests, are encouraged to report any incident of concern to the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities (OSRR).  


This form may be used to report information necessary to initiate an investigation of alleged discrimination, harassment, sexual or gender-harassment, domestic or dating violence, stalking, academic misconduct, and a violation of the Residence Life Code of Conduct or the NSU Student Code of Conduct.


Incident Reporting Form


In an emergency or crisis situation that requires immediate intervention, call 9-911 from a campus phone or 911 from all other phones.



Northern CARES

Northern State University faculty and staff are invested in students’ learning and well-being. A caring and proactive approach assists students for their academic success and personal growth. If you suspect that a student is experiencing difficulties or is struggling with an issue and is beginning to display signs of distress, please complete the Northern CARES Referral form:


Northern CARES Referral


This information is reviewed by the Northern CARES team to identify, assess, and support students of concern. 



Report a Concern or Complaint

NSU wants to hear from you. We are committed to respecting members of our campus community and providing a quality educational experience for all students. To help resolve concerns, complaints, or questions regarding university policies, actions or free speech/intellectual diversity, please complete the Non-Academic Complaint Form:


Non-Academic Complaint Form


Non-academic complaints are generally the result of a concern that the student feels is unjust, unequitable, or creates an unnecessary hardship.


The Non-Academic Complaint Form is not intended to be used for reports of sexual misconduct, academic grievances, or academic integrity complaints.


We begin the process of complaint resolution within three business days of receipt of this form. We strive to resolve complaints within 30 days of submission, though some policies and procedures may require an extension of that time frame.


Online/Distance Education Student Complaints

Northern State University online/distance education students living outside South Dakota may follow the Complaint Process for Distance Education Students in SARA States. Click here for more information. 


Student Academic Grievance Procedure

Students who feel that they have been aggrieved by a decision or action of a Northern faculty member relating to class absences, grades, and classroom behavior shall follow the Academic Grievance Procedure if they wish to bring their grievances to a resolution.



File a Formal Complaint with the University’s Accreditor, the Higher Learning Commission

To file a formal complaint with Northern State University’s accreditor, please visit Submit a Complaint to the Higher Learning Commission.



File a Formal Complaint with the South Dakota Division of Consumer Protection

Office of Attorney General

Division of Consumer Protection


Email: consumer-help

Web: To access the process through which to file a formal complaint, visit Division of Consumer Protection Complaint Form


1302 E Hwy 14 Ste 3

Pierre, SD 57501

Phone: 605-773-4400, 1-800-300-1986 (in-state only)

Fax: 605-773-7163