TRIO Upward Bound is a federal grant program designed to inspire and support students in their pursuit of postsecondary education. The program offers services throughout the academic year and during a six-week residential summer program at Northern.
TRIO Upward Bound offers eligible students expert help with:
- Academic advising
- ACT preparation
- Time management
- Financial and economic literacy
- Scholarship preparation and completion
- Cultural experiences
- Choosing a career, and
- Selecting a college or university
During Northern's summer program, students attend classes in mathematics, laboratory sciences, composition, literature and foreign languages.
School Year Program
- Meet monthly with an TRIO Upward Bound advisor
- Maintain good attendance at school
- Participate in weekend workshops
- Stay in good academic standing (2.5+ GPA)
- Work with TRIO Upward Bound tutors
- Receive a monthly stipend
- Six weeks' free room and board on Northern's campus
- Educational instruction in math, science, computers, art, composition, reading and Spanish
- Use of Northern's computer and science labs
- Individual advising and tutoring
- Hands-on learning
- Free college visits and educational adventures in cities such as Minneapolis, Chicago, Kansas City and Denver
- Potential to earn high school AND college credit
- Weekly stipend
Qualified graduating TRIO Upward Bound seniors who have attended the summer program are eligible to earn college credit! Enroll at Northern for a summer class, and TRIO Upward Bound picks up the tab for room, board, tuition and books.
How to Get Involved
To be part of TRIO Upward Bound, applicants must:
- Be a 9th-11th grader at Aberdeen Central High School or high schools in Britton-Hecla, Doland, Frederick, Langford, Sisseton, Waubay, Webster or Wilmot, S.D.
- Want academic support to help prepare for college
- Aspire to attend and graduate from college
- Meet income and parental education guidelines
For more information, reach out to Jennie Thompson, director of TRIO Upward Bound, at 605-626-3299 or email@example.com; or stop by Mewaldt-Jensen 103-104.