Federal Register Monday, Dec. 19, 2016, Vol. 81 No. 243 34 CFR Parts 600 and 668 Program Integrity and Improvement; Proposed Rules outlines new rules requiring educational institutions to disclose specific information related to distance education and correspondence programs.


§668.50 Institutional Disclosures for Distance or Correspondence Programs (DE) requires institutions provide ten (10) disclosures; seven (7) general disclosures for the public and three (3) individualized disclosures to prospective and enrolled students.


Public Disclosures

§600.9 State Authorization

Northern State University is committed to complying with other states' authorization regulations. Please click here to view the authorization status for individual states or U.S. territory.


Status definitions

  • NC-SARA Member State - State is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). As an institutional member of NC-SARA, Northern is authorized to deliver online programs in other NC-SARA member states.
  • Exempt by State Statute - Northern has received specific authorization from applicable state agency or NSU is exempt from seeking specific authorization.
  • Not Authorized to Deliver Online Programs in the State/Country - Northern does not have authorization or has chosen not to seek authorization to offer online degree programs in these states or U.S. territories: (none listed at this time)


§668.43(b) Complaint Processes

Complaint Process for Distance Education Students in SARA States

Students located in SARA states with complaints should follow the process outlined by the South Dakota SARA State Portal Entity.


A list of SARA member states, participating institutions, and state portal entities is available at the NC-SARA Directory.


  • Step 1 - File a complaint with your institution (Northern State University)

Northern State University complaint procedures are available on the NSU website at Disclosure.


Northern provides an opportunity for enrolled students and the public to submit non-academic complaints. The policy, process, and procedures for submitting complaints are available in the Non-Academic Complaint Policy. Individual complaints can be submitted online using the Non-Academic Complaint Form at Concerns and Complaints.


The policy and procedures for complaints/grievances related to academics are available in the NSU Student Handbook.


  • Step 2 – If the complaint was not resolved satisfactorily at the institutional level after the complaint process was completed, students may appeal the decision to Northern’s SARA state portal entity, the South Dakota Board of Regents, using the appeal form


§668.43(b) State Complaint Process Contacts

Individuals may also submit complaints to the South Dakota Board of Regents (the NC-SARA portal agency) by mail at 306 East Capitol Ave, Suite 200, Pierre, S.D., 57501; phone 605-773-3455; email info@sdbor.edu or may contact the appropriate state agency for the individual's resident state. The interactive map at the top of this page provides specific contact information for each state. The contact information for each state is subject to change.


Northern State University’s SARA State Portal Entity (South Dakota Board of Regents) has final authority in SARA Complaints


Complaint Process for Distance Education Students in non-SARA States

Students located in non-SARA member states must contact the agency for complaints for their state. A list of state agencies can be found at SARA State Authorization Guide. 


§668.43(a)(20) Adverse Actions Initiated by Federal, State, or Accrediting Agency

Northern State University has no previous, current, or pending adverse actions initiated by a federal, state, or accrediting agency.


§668.43(a)(2) Refund Policies

Northern State University follows the refund policy published by the South Dakota Board of Regents.

§668.43(a)(5)(v) and §668.43(c) Professional Licensure/Certification (PLC) pre-education requirements

The curriculum for some degrees at Northern State University is designed to meet the licensure/certification requirements in South Dakota and prepare students to sit for licensure exams in South Dakota. The various licensure boards in each state are responsible for setting specific requirements for licensure/certification in the state. Individuals intending to return or move to any state other than South Dakota should be aware of the unique educational requirements for licensure/certification for that state.


Individuals seeking licensure/certification outside the state of South Dakota can find information about each state's licensure requirements by clicking on the respective degree program below. Individuals are encouraged to engage with an academic advisor before beginning any licensure degree program to better understand the licensure education requirements in the intended state of residence/licensure.


NOTE: Northern State University will no longer offer the Bachelor of Science Professional Accountancy degree to new students beginning August 2021. 


Individual Disclosures

§668.43(c)(3) - Individual disclosures must be made directly to the student in writing, which may include through email or other electronic communication.

§668.43(c)(1) - If the NSU degree program DOES NOT meet state licensure/certification education requirements or if NSU has not made a determination.

§668.43(c)(2) - If NSU makes a determination the degree program DOES NOT meet state licensure/certification education requirements, notify the student within 14 calendar days of the determination.

§668.43(c)(3)(ii)(c) - If the student location changes Northern must provide applicable disclosures outlined in §668.43(c)(1)/§668.43(c)(2) above.


Individual Disclosure Acknowledgement

§668.50(c)(2) “For a prospective student who received disclosure under paragraph (c)(1)(i) of this sections and who subsequently enrolls in the program, the institution must receive acknowledgement from that student that the student received the disclosure and be able to demonstrate it received the student’s acknowledgement.”



SARANorthern State University participates in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements.