With a population of about 28,000, Aberdeen offers the warm, welcoming atmosphere of a small town while boasting big-city amenities. From dining to shopping to enjoying the outdoors, there's always something to do, such as:
- A host of tantalizing restaurants offering sweet and savory dishes ranging from well-known staples to local specialties.
- Live music throughout the year, from indoor performances to outdoor concerts in downtown Aberdeen.
- Outdoor adventures at one of the community's numerous parks, including Aberdeen's crown jewel, the 210-acre Wylie Park.
- Wintertime fun, including snowmobiling, cross-country skiing and outdoor ice skating.
- Experiencing live theater – or catching a film – at the historic Capitol Theatre.
- Cheering on our local NAHL ice hockey team and 2019 Robertson Cup Champions, the Aberdeen Wings.
When you make plans to visit Northern, be sure to explore Aberdeen. We love this city and you will, too.
Northern State University is committed to providing educational and cultural opportunities for members of our community, region, and state. As a student at NSU, you'll have opportunities to volunteer at many local agencies and enjoy our community and regional events.