About The Program
Our new collaborative program will guide you to a career in engineering! Northern’s Guaranteed Admission Agreement with South Dakota State University allows you to complete your first two years at NSU and then transfer to SDSU to complete your bachelor’s degree in engineering, choosing from three options:
Read more about this exciting new program below!
You may be interested in pursuing a major in Mechanical Engineering if you:
- Have a driving curiosity about the inner working of mechanisms.
- Are ready to perform at a high level in science and mathematics.
- Like to tinker with and build things.
- Are a creative problem-solver.
- Work well in a team-setting.
- Are an excellent communicator with good presentation skills.
- Want to build technical expertise with broad career opportunities.
You may be interested in pursuing a major in Civil Engineering if you:
- Have strong skills in science and math.
- Are a creative problem-solver with good communication skills.
- Are keen on designing and building infrastructure systems.
- Are comfortable working with technology.
- Have good critical-thinking skills.
- Are interested in enhancing project-management and leadership skills.
You may be interested in pursuing a major in Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering if:
- Are interested in designing agricultural equipment, facilities and infrastructure.
- Are interested in using engineering methods to improve agricultural productivity.
- Enjoy hands-on learning and working outdoors.
- Are interested in converting agricultural commodities into products such as plastics, fuels and specialty feeds.
- Have a healthy aptitude for science and mathematics.
- Want to enhance technology applications to the agricultural sector.
The NSU WolfPACT is the highest guaranteed, four-year scholarship in the region. But that isn't the only scholarship available at Northern. Visit Arts and Sciences Scholarships fort other scholarship opportunities!
Students in this program must maintain grades of at least "C" in all NSU engineering prerequisite courses. Below are sample course study plans for each program option while at NSU:
Experience the world while earning your degree through NSU Study Abroad! With hundreds of opportunities available around the globe, Northern can make your study abroad dream become a reality. Learn more at Study Abroad!
At Northern, you'll have the chance to conduct cutting-edge research that can have real-world impacts - while still an undergraduate student. Now with our brand new, state-of-the-art Jewett Regional Science Education Center, the sky is truly the limit. Learn more at Undergraduate Research!
Ready to take the next step? Contact us:
- Faculty Advisor: Dr. Travis Trentham, 605-626-3298 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to learn more about living and learning at Northern? Contact NSU Admissions today 605-626-2544 or email@example.com!
Still unsure of a major? We can help! Contact NSU Career Services at 605-626-3007 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ph.D. Montana State University
M.S. Montana State University
B.S. State University of New York
Dr. John Long joined the NSU faculty in the summer of 2015. He has a bachelor’s degree in applied mathematics from the State University of New York, a master’s degree in environmental and ecological statistics and a Ph.D. in ecology and environmental sciences, both from Montana State University. His area of expertise is the mathematical and physical aspects of the environment.
Dr. Long is a part of the SEA-PHAGES team trained by Howard Hughes Medical Institute to discover new viruses in environmental samples and to sequence their genome. Dr. Long is a retired U.S. Air Force major with 21 years of service as a B-52 electronic warfare officer.
Introduction to Physics I and II
University Physics I and II
Biological Statistics I and II
Dr. George Nora began at Northern State University in 2010 and has been promoted to associate professor of chemistry.
Ph.D. University of South Dakota
M.S. North Dakota State University
B.S. North Dakota State University