Welcome to the NSU News Update - providing information on events happening on campus or involving NSU students, staff and faculty.
To submit a news item, send it via email to NSUNews@northern.edu by 5 p.m. Thursday of the week before the announcement should run.
Student Success Center GOLD Series
This week’s Student Success Center GOLD Series events are as follows:
• The Final One About the Teacher Job Fair Prep; 4-6 p.m. Monday, Jan. 23, MJ 101: NSU education candidates can prepare for the February 10th, 2023, Teacher Job Fair with this final workshop. Those attending will be able to work on their resume for the Job Fair and learn what is needed to be successful while networking with employers.
• The One About Time Management; Monday, Jan. 23, 7-8 p.m. MJ 146: There are only 24 hours in a day, so where your time goes can have a major impact on your success in college. The Student Success Center invites students to this interactive workshop to learn about how to be intentional and effective in managing time. See how a few simple strategies and structure can allow you to get things done, while making time for yourself and to enjoy your college experience.
• The One About Time Management (Rerun); Wednesday, Jan. 25, 7-8 p.m. MJ 101/virtual: There are only 24 hours in a day, so where your time goes can have a major impact on your success in college. The NSU Student Success Center invites students to this interactive workshop to learn about how to be intentional and effective in managing time. See how a few simple strategies and structure can allow you to get things done, while making time for yourself and to enjoy your college experience.
• One-On-One Teacher Job Fair Prep Week 1; Tuesday, Jan. 24-Thursday, Jan. 26. 4-6 p.m. MJ 102/virtual: Education candidates can work with Career Services staff to have their resume reviewed or practice their elevator pitch for the Teacher Job Fair. Candidates should register for a session on WolfWork or by emailing email@example.com
GOLD Series programs stand for “Great Opportunities for Learning and Development” and are Pack Point Certified! For a complete listing of GOLD events, see the online calendar. For more information, please contact the Student Success Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spring 2023 Graduation Apparel
Attention Spring 2023 Graduates: Graduation apparel will be available for purchase on the website listed below beginning Jan. 23, 2023, at 8 a.m. until April 2, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. Click on these links to purchase:
• Purchase graduation apparel here.
• Purchase graduation announcements here.
Wolftrax Podcast Season 2
The first episode of the Wolftrax podcast, season two, is now available. Wolftrax is a College of Arts and Sciences podcast, created by Dr. Ken Blanchard, with the goal of publicizing the activities of CAS faculty and staff. Check out the new episode at this link!
Name Tag Orders
NSU Communications and Marketing will be making the next campus-wide order of employee name tags at the end of this month. To request a name tag as part of this order, please fill out this online form by 5 p.m. Thursday, Jan 26.
Piano Education Webinar
An interactive webinar, “Presenting Lower-Intermediate Piano Classics: A Student’s First Encounters,” will take place 1-2:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 28, in the JFAC Berggren Recital Hall. Jane Magrath, a well-known pianist, author and clinician, will share quick and concise ways to prepare selected late elementary and early intermediate classics for student success in the coming lessons. A handout of scores of the pieces will be provided. This session also will include information on the “Pianist’s Guide to Standard Teaching and Performance Literature” and “Piano Literature for Teaching and Performance,” as well as suggestions for how to place a new or transfer student into the appropriate level of classical literature. Registration is FREE for Aberdeen Area Music Association members and students, and just $20 for non-members. Register by emailing Brigette at email@example.com or listing yourself on this Facebook event.
The Pre-Health Club will be hosting a blood drive on Wednesday, Feb. 1, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Centennial rooms of the Avera Student Center. Sign up online at this link, in the Student Center Jan. 24-31, or by contacting George Nora at George.firstname.lastname@example.org.
NSU Theatre Presents Eurydice
The NSU Theatre Program will present the play "Eurydice" in the JFAC Black Box Theater. Performances will run at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 16, 17 and 18 as well as at 3 p.m. Feb. 19. Sarah Ruhl’s “Eurydice” harkens back to the Greek myth of Eurydice and Orpheus as young lovers who seek to find each other again in the Underworld after a wedding-day tragedy. All tickets are general admission and will be available at the door. Cost is $10 for adults and $5 for senior citizens and NSU faculty/staff. Students will be admitted for free. Payment will be cash or check only; debit or credit cards will not be accepted. There will be no advance or online ticket sales. For more information, contact the NSU School of Fine Arts at 605-626-2497.
Spring 2023 Parking Permits
Parking permits for the spring semester are now available for purchase online, or on myNSU Student and myNSU Faculty/Staff.
Please note: If you purchased a parking permit in the fall, it is good for the whole school year.
For spring 2023, parking permits will be sold online only—no payments will be accepted at the Parking Office.
• Purple Permit: This permit costs $67.50 for the spring semester and allows you to park in any lot except the visitor lot at the northwest corner of the Johnson Fine Arts Center and the visitor spots in the Washington Street lot. Purchase a purple permit here.
• Gold Permit: This permit costs $40.50 for the spring semester and allows you to park in any parking lot except the Washington Street lots, Steele Hall/Great Plains West lot and the visitor lot by the Johnson Fine Arts Center. Purchase a gold permit here.
After purchasing your permit of choice online, pick it up at the Parking Office on the second floor of the Physical Plant the day after your submitting payment online.
For more information, call 605-626-2560 or email email@example.com.
GiveNDay is Coming! April 5-6, 2023
The Northern State Foundation is excited to host our third annual day of giving, GiveNDay, on April 5, 2023! This 24-hour challenge is designed to inspire all supporters of Northern to come together as we work to provide funding across the university.
Last year was a huge success as our community raised $330,000 from over 1,800 donors. Also known as #OneDayOnePack, this year’s goal is to receive support from 2,500 donors in 24 hours.
If you would like your campus-sponsored organization represented, please contact Aimee at the Foundation by Feb. 10, 2023. You can email Aimee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We need your help! We are looking for students, faculty or alumni to represent their school, department, organization or team as Ambassadors. As Ambassadors, you have the opportunity to share your love of NSU with your family and friends via social media, and potentially earn rewards while doing it! Interested? Reach out to the Foundation at email@example.com.