About The Program
Northern State University’s sport marketing and administration professors are committed to providing you with curriculum that is real, exciting and meaningful.
As a sport marketing and administration bachelor's degree student at NSU, you’ll be involved with numerous hands-on learning experiences, in addition to a practicum and internship.
This might be a good fit if you:
- Love everything about sports, from participating in fantasy leagues to memorizing statistics.
- Are an athlete who has decided not to pursue professional leagues.
You can put your sport marketing and administration degree to work in:
- Sport communication: Media relations, sports information, public relations, promotions, sport reporter, sports statistics, and sport history
- Broadcasting sport management and marketing: Marketing, sales, non-profit leadership, advertising, promotions, concessions, ticketing, sports agent, telemarketing, sports law, scouting, and fitness management
- Event and facility management: Facility management, operations, special events, telemarketing, retailing, event management, campus recreation, security, and sport technology
- Athletic Administration: Compliance, facilities, fundraising, ticketing, promotions, concessions, academic counseling, life skills, and youth development
For more information on careers in your major or help choosing a major, contact Career Services.
All students gain essential career-related experience in two required internships: a practicum, PE 395 (3 credits) and field experience, PE 496 (6 credits).
NSU sport marketing interns have worked with Aberdeen Parks and Recreation, NSU Athletics, the Aberdeen Wings NAHL hockey team, and Hub City Soccer. Students also have worked with the Minnesota Vikings, the St. Paul Saints, the Minnesota Twins, and the Huntsville Stars (AA Brewers affiliate).
NSU Career Services and our full-time professional advisors are happy to help guide your career planning.
School of Education scholarships are available to incoming freshmen and upperclassmen. For details, please call the School of Education at 605-626-2415.
“My dad found Northern through a college swimming recruiting website and asked me if I wanted to go for a visit. I was hesitant because I knew it was going to be cold in the winter. The previous week I went on a visit to a different school that I thought I was going to love, but I didn’t. So when I toured Northern, I wasn’t sure what to think about it. Then I met the people and the professors and I ate lunch with the swim team. I came for the people and how nice everyone is. I felt like I wasn’t just going to be just another number in a classroom. I could tell that the professors really did care about wanting me to succeed. I’m a senior now and I can say with absolute certainty that the professors do care that you succeed. I’m also a senior who had her graduation postponed. I honestly didn’t know when I went home for Spring Break, that was the last time I was going to see my friends and my professors. I left with a ‘Have a good break!’ I didn’t know that was going to be my goodbye. Now, I’m moving back home three months before I planned on it. I’m thankful for my family understanding that I’m still a student. I’m thankful for my professors that personally email me to see how I’m doing with the shift to online classes. I’m thankful for my friends, all of whom I miss so much. But most importantly, I’m thankful for Northern and every opportunity this school have given me to expand my knowledge, my swimming career, and myself in general.” - Jordan Metz, Emporia, Kansas #beNORTHERN #unleashYOURpotential #NorthernStateU #GoWolves #InThisTogether
Ready to take the next step? Contact us today:
- Sport Marketing and Administration Academic Advisor: Tim Moffett, 605-626-2272 or Tim.Moffett@northern.edu.
Want to learn more about living and learning at Northern? Contact NSU Admissions today 605-626-2544 or email@example.com!
Still unsure of a major? We can help! Contact Career Services at 605-626-3007 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am the academic advisor for health and physical education and psychology and business administration at Northern. Since 2015, I have greatly enjoyed working with Northern students. Before moving to South Dakota, I worked and lived in Minnesota, Illinois, Wyoming, South Korea, and Wisconsin. I graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in psychology from Eureka College (Illinois) and a master's of science in counseling (K-12 and higher education) from the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.