HOWL is Northern's New Student Orientation!

What is HOWL - Helping Our Wolves Learn?

HOWL is Northern’s orientation program for all incoming students. HOWL orientation is required of all incoming students (first years, transfers, and reentry students). 

If distance creates economic hardship (for example: international student), Virtual HOWL is available. Please contact your admissions counselor for more information on this option.

Whether you're joining us on campus or virtually, HOWL is the perfect opportunity to get acquainted with Northern and be ready to join the pack in the fall!

HOWL Overview

HOWL has two major components:

  • Pre-HOWL Prep Course and Advising Appointment: The goal of the orientation prep course is to provide information about university resources and services and your college of enrollment. Your advisor will reference the information you learn in the prep course during orientation. The pre-HOWL pre course and academic advising appointment are required before attending your on-campus HOWL program.
  • At on-campus HOWL, you'll meet with your college and academic advisors and confirm fall courses. HOWL is a daylong program; please be prepared to attend the full day. HOWL orientation attendance is required for all new students.
Preparing for HOWL
  • Read Do I Need to Test. If you need to test, make arrangements to do so.
  • Mail a copy of your immunization records to NSU Admissions or bring a copy with you.
  • Mail or bring a copy of your most recent transcript.
  • Read about privacy of records (FERPA) at Student Privacy Notice. Complete and turn in or mail in forms to withhold or release information as desired.
What is the immunization policy?
  • South Dakota state law requires all students to present proof of immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) to enroll in classes.
I have questions about living on campus - who should I contact?
Overnight Accommodations
Parking on Campus
  • Parking permits are not required for students and parents attending a HOWL event. However, students bringing vehicles to campus for the academic year must purchase a parking permit to park in the campus lots. Permits can be purchased online.
  • Campus Map
Accommodating Your Needs
  • Disability
    • We value disability as an aspect of diversity and want to ensure that you are able to fully participate in all programming available to you. If you have a disability or health condition, or suspect you have one, and would like to have a confidential discussion about accommodations, please contact Kelly Weismantel, assistant director of accessibility services, as soon as possible. Some accommodations may take time to arrange.
  • Mobility
    • If you have a short-term disability (such as a broken leg) and would have difficulty traveling long distances during orientation, please contact Student Affairs at 605-626-3007. 
  • Dietary Accommodations
    • You may indicate dietary accommodations on your HOWL registration form. If your dietary needs change, please contact Student Affairs at 605-626-3007.


For questions about academic support and advising, please visit the Student Success Center.