Transfer Student Registration

Welcome to Northern! Please arrange for official transcripts from all schools you have attended to be sent to NSU Admissions.

Some restrictions apply as to the number of credits accepted in transfer and NSU institutional credits required for graduation and honors. Please see the NSU Catalog for details.

If you have received any GI Bill education benefits at your previous school, or think that you may be eligible for benefits, please contact Certifying Official Carlee Miller at or 605-626-2545.

As a transfer student, you're eligible for admission to Northern if you:

  • Have a cumulative college grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher, and
  • Are in good standing with the most recently attended college of university (high school performance also will be considered for applicants with fewer than 24 credit hours)

ACT or SAT score is required only if you're under 22 years old. NSU considers each applicant on an individual basis.

If you attended a South Dakota public university within the past three semesters (including summer), no application fee is required and there's no need to send transcripts.

Once you're accepted, transfer credit will be evaluated and posted on your NSU transcript per policy found in the NSU catalog and in keeping with S.D. Board of Regents policy.  You will be sent a report showing the equivalencies granted.  If you think a different equivalency should be given, you may submit a Request for Change of Transfer Equivalency Form along with a syllabus for the class and a change will be considered. 

If courses have been evaluated previously, you can find how your credits may transfer to NSU using the Transfer Credit Calculator. This does get updated occasionally, so should not be considered the final determination.

Transfer Student Checklist (PDF)